- 1 tablespoon cornstarch use 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder use 1/4 teaspoon soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 whole egg use 2 egg yolks plus1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup sour milk or buttermilk use 1 cup milk plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 square unsweetened chocolate use 3 – 4 tablespoons cocoa plus 1 tablespoon liquid shortening
- 1 cup honey use 3/4 cup sugar plus 1/4 cup liquid
- 1 cup sugar use 1 cup honey or syrup and reduce liquid in recipe 1/4 cup
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar use 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canned tomatoes use about 1 & 1/3 cup cut up fresh tomatoes simmered 10 minutes.
From my Betty Crocker cookbook (a wedding gift).
The inside looks much worse than the outside.